Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
FDSRCS (Eng), MBBS (Lon), MRCS (Eng), FRCS (Eng) OMFS
GMC No. 6143043
GDC No. 81791
ICO No. ZA130574
I would like to extend a warm welcome to you and hope you find the information on this website informative.
I am appointed as Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon at the renowned Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, East Grinstead with a specialist interest in head and neck oncology and reconstruction.
I qualified in Dentistry in 1996 and worked in hospital posts in Oral Surgery around the London region for five years, successfully obtaining the Fellowship in Dental Surgery (FDSRCS), awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 2001. Thereafter I completed my Medical degree (MBBS) from King's College London in 2006. I have completed generic surgical training, which culminated in the Membership of Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) in 2009. My higher surgical training in oral & maxillofacial surgery was based in the South Coast of England and this led to the award of the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (FRCS-OMFS) in 2014. I have completed a head and neck fellowship in a renowned centre in Munich and was subsequently also selected for the highly coveted national interface head and neck fellowships.
I have undertaken advanced dental implant training in South Africa, USA and the United Kingdom. I have been placing implants since 2004 including undertaking complex cases requiring bone grafts and sinus lifts. With my broad surgical background, I am well versed with all aspects of oral and maxillofacial surgery including facial aesthetics and implant dentistry. I enjoy teaching and regularly lecture post-graduate students in oral and maxillofacial surgery and implantology.
I have publications in peer reviewed journals and presentations at regional, national and international conferences. I was the recipient of the Leibinger Prize in 2012. I am also actively involved with leadership roles as an executive board member of the European Association for Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery.
In my spare time, I enjoy photography and scuba diving in various parts of the world. My other hobbies include tennis, running, cycling and watching my kids play sport. Having lived next door to the Wimbledon lawn tennis club, a keen interest in tennis is understandable although I am far from centre court material!
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (BAOMS)
- European Association for Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery (EACMFS)
- Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS Eng)
- British Association of Head & Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)
- European Association for Osseointegration (EAO)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- British Medical Association (BMA)
- Medical Protection Society (MPS)
- A scanning electron microscope characterisation of biofilm on failed craniofacial osteosynthesis miniplates. Jhass AK, Johnston DA, Gulati A, Anand R, Stoodley P, Sharma S. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2014 Oct;42(7):e372-8.
- A novel approach to teaching surgical skills to medical students using an ex vivo animal training model. Bauer F, Rommel N, Kreutzer, Weitz J, Wagenpfeil S, Gulati A, Wolff KD, Kesting MR. J Surg Educ 2014 Jul-Aug;71(4):459-65.
- Repair of oronasal fistulae by interposition of multilayered amniotic membrane allograft. Rohleder NH, Loeffelbein DJ, Feistl W, Eddicks M, Wolff KD, Gulati A, Steinstraesser L, Kesting MR. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013 Jul;132(1):172-81.
- Litigation in National Health Service oral and maxillofacial surgery: review of the last 15 years.Gulati A, Herd MK, Nimako M, Anand R, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012 Jul;50(5):385-88.
- Short communication: A simple technique to control the hair and enhance draping for major head and neck surgery. Gulati A, Turner M, Anand R, Blythe JN, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012 Mar;50(2):181-82.
- Review of salivary papers published in the British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery during 2009-2010. Gulati A, Scott, J, Blythe JN, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011 Dec;49(8):627-29.
- A synopsis of technical notes published in the British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in 2009/2010. Blythe JN, Southorn BJ, Gulati A, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg2011 Dec;49(8):657-60.
- Use of CO2 laser for lingual fraenectomy. Puthussery F, Shekar K, Gulati A, Downie IP. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011 Oct;49(7):580-81.
- Carcinoid tumour metastases to the submandibular gland: a case report.Gulati A, Ramchandani P, King E. Ann Royal Coll Surg Engl 2011 Sep;93(6):e67-8.
- Use of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate tissue glue in thoracic duct injury. Blythe JN, Habib A, Gulati A, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011 Sep;49(6):486-87.
- Review: A synopsis of head and neck oncology and related papers published in the British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery 2009/10.Gulati A, Herd MK, Blythe JN, Habib A, Anand R, Brennan PA. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Jul;49(5):368-75.
- Radiology quiz case: Cricoid calcification. Gulati A, Sunkaraneni S, Proctor R, Hellier WP. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2011 May;137(5):522
- Penetrating knife injury to frontal lobe – a case report. Gulati A, Srinivasan B, Hunter R, Flood TR. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 2010; 92: W41-2.
- Use of Contegra conduit reinforced with Goretex as a modified left Blalock-Taussig Shunt. Vohra HA, Whistance R, Gulati A, Haw MP. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Sep;58(6):366-7. Epub 2010 Sep 7.
- Carotid artery trifurcation: an unusual finding. Gulati A, Bachalli P, Singh M, Walji S. BJOMS (Oracle) 2010 March; 48:160.
- An aesthetic incision for neck dissection. Gulati A, Shekar K, Downie IP. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009 Oct;47:7:e6-e7.
- Squamous cell carcinoma presenting as peri-implantitis: a case report. Gulati A, Puthussery F, Downie IP, Flood TR. Annals of the RCS of England 2009 Oct;91(7):W8-10.
- Micro-scooter induced dental trauma: a case report. Dhillon GK, Gulati A, Sherman JA. Dental Traumatol 2005; 21:226-8.
- BAOMS Travel Grant (Fellowship) –2012
- EACMFS Leibinger Prize –2012
- 1st prize BAOMS poster presentation (Clinical Category)–2009
- 1st prize 'Team working' Kingston Hospital–2007
- MBBS Distinction in special studies King's College London –2006
- BAOMS Student Bursary Prize –2005
- King's College London Elective Bursary award –2004